Having just watched the first episode of The 100, I felt the need to write about one flaw of the episode. Why are they spacing people they don’t like? It’s a waste of resources.
I can see the rational for removing people. They have a small society, limited space to contain it and feel the need to have a drastic deterrent for crime.
But it is just the wrong way to do things, and here is my reasoning:
- They are all part of a small closed ecosystem (a space station). They are all worried about dwindling resources, especially as the people in charge know there is a problem. Why eject resources into space?
- The person is biomass, just kill them and use their body as fertiliser.
- If you really need to space them, strip them first. Reuse their clothes and anything in their pockets.
- If you have to space them, why do it from a large air lock? Isn’t that a lot of air to waste, all ejected into space?
- If you eject that much air into space, won’t it affect the orbit of the space station? And require a correction later on?
It is nice to see more Sci-Fi on TV. I just wish they thought a bit more about the science.